Tuesday, March 11, 2014

blog? what blog?

Alas, I've forgotten about this yet again.  As a token of my sincerest apologies, please accept this video of the miniature accordion master that I saw on the metro in Rome.



I was about to start writing about what's happened since I've returned from spring break, but this baby busker has reminded of something I've been meaning to do for a while.  BUSKING aka playing music in public places as a backhanded way of begging for money- I think it's pretty awesome.  I recently added it to my bucket list.  Not that I actively plan on living in such a manner that would necessitate begging for money on the streets... I just think it would be really fun to sit outside and play music for people for a bit.  I could sing and play some undetermined instrument (maybe I'll do this after I learn how to play the cello?), perhaps with a friend and entertain passersby.  I'm thinking lovable town troubadour, Gilmore Girls-style, not creepy lurker.  

The reason I've suddenly thought so much about this is because London is overflowing with really talented street musicians.  I've heard/seen classical violin, really intense rock (complete with mini drum set), sultry jazz trumpet, didgeridoo, beat boxing, and countless other musical acts- and that's only in the tube stations.  At first, I was really amazed at how good all of the tube performers are.  Then, I did a bit research.  I noticed that most tube buskers stand in areas with large decals, either on the floor or on the wall behind them, which say "Let the music transport you" and have a little "Mayor of London" logo in the corner.  They're all really great because they're all licensed buskers that have auditioned for a much sought after spot in the London underground system! That's actually a thing that people can do! The city sponsors a busking program to promote the arts and make Londoners' hectic commutes a little more pleasant.  I don't know if this is unique to London, or if I'm just really inexperienced with cities.  Either way, colour me impressed. 

I see you, London.  Keep doin' you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment