Wednesday, February 12, 2014

two minute update

In the midst of homework and exploring, I realize that I've neglected this blog a bit.  I think I'm finally walking the delicate line between successful student and spontaneous London adventurer, so hopefully this will be updated more regularly.  To make up for my absence in the past couple of weeks, here are a few brief updates.

Since I last posted, I have...

-Seen an obscene number of dogs in clothes.  Coats, sweaters, even boots- in London, even pets are extra trendy, apparently.

-Visited St. Paul's Cathedral.  I'm not a particularly religious person, but this place is gorrrrrrgeous.  When you walk beneath the dome and cast your eyes upward to gaze at the glittering mosaics high above, you're struck with the kind of beauty whose weight almost makes you fall over backward.

-Fallen in love with the Tate Britain.  It's by far my favorite museum here and I'm pretty sure I could happily live there, if they were to allocate me a cozy broom closet.  London secret: museum cafes have to absolute best coffee EVER.

-Found the most idyllic used bookstore, right down the road from my homestay, complete with funky decorations, a comfy couch covered with brightly colored pillows and afghans, circa 1975, and a very well-stocked Roald Dahl section.

-Found an equally fabulous cafe/bakery, which happens to be right next to the aforementioned idyllic bookstore.  It sells fantastic coffee in cavernous mugs, freshly made sandwiches on exotic looking bread, the largest croissants I've ever seen in my life, and cheesecakes that deserve to be photographed for an upscale food magazine.  What more can a girl ask for?

-Participated in a Camden Town pub crawl, which ended in a old horse stable-turned night club.  Interesting, considering that Camden Town is essentially the Jersey Shore of London.

-Been slapped in the face with the realization that I'm kind of almost a real-ish adult.  If I had a pound for every time I've passed a parent who tells their hyperactive toddler to "watch out for the LADY" or each time a barista has called me "ma'am,"  I might actually be able to afford something from Harrod's.  On one hand, it's kind of exciting and empowering.  Yeah, I'm not just a girl, I'm a lady!
...But on the other hand, WHERE THE HECK IS PETER PAN WHEN YOU NEED HIM??

-Attempted to learn the meaning of Stonehenge, to no avail.  The mystery of it adds to its appeal, though, I would definitely suggest visiting this giant pile of rocks in the middle of a field.

-And, last, but certainly not least, been invited by my host parents to a hoedown-themed party, "costumes highly encouraged."  Get out yer dancin' boots, ya'll.

That's all for the moment, but more to come, more frequently!


No comments:

Post a Comment